Unfortunately neither our GOP nor convention chairman ASKED first time attendees to stand and be formally welcomed. (However the convention committees and Chair did act in a welcoming manner - hence my title. It was cozy, somewhat competitive, but not hot or contentious.) My best guess is that 25 to 30 of the 75 in attendance were NEW. If you were one of the first time attendees, THANK YOU for attending. Without you it would have been a record small convention for a presidential year.
And yes it's true MANY if not MOST of the newcomers were Ron Paul supporters. But so were many of the regulars. The convention was perhaps half Ron Paul, half unknown/ uncommitted. I can't report with certainty because there were no clear "sides" or counts by presidential preference. The business was to elect delegates, not to identify whom each person most prefers for President.
|Jekyll Island delegation including Susan Robinson, Jane Murphy, Ron Stock and 2 more.|
By precinct the turnout was:
- 3 Sterling Church of God - welcome back to the Wright family and to new attendee Alex Szyper. And thank you to Sam Wright for his work on the nominating committee.
- 9 Sterling elementary - great turnout from the Chapman and Ligon families and others.
- 2 Satilla Marsh - welcome Jackie Maxey and Richard Price - new attendees this year!
- 3 Marshes of Glynn -- all from the East West Boulevard contingent!
- 6 First Baptist SSI -- welcome the Kacos, Netherton, and Siffords families -new this year.
- 9 St.Williams SSI - long time regulars and Tea Party returnees from last year. No one NEW this year.
- 2 Oglethorpe Point SSI - welcome back to the Cox family returned.
- 5 Jekyll Island - So good to see LONG time Republican Ron Stock, 2011 returnee Susan Robinson, and 2012 newcomer Jane Murphy - plus their 2 lovely friends whom I didn't meet.
- 8 Christian Renewal SSI - the long time always active Dietermans were there. Plus regulars Kevin Gough and Marlene Parmley. Welcome new attendee Don Elliott.
- 1 Northside Baptist Church - Bob Wendel was parliamentarian and sound master again.
- 1 CB Greer - Thank you to the lone attendee out of 11 elected to attend from CB Greer.
- 9 Beverly Shores - Long time and regular activists McVeighs, Robinson, and Kilgore held down the fort. Shaw McVeigh was convention chairman. Jeff Kilgore was resolutions chairman. And new attendees Pat and Paula Massari.
- 5 Ballard - Good to see regulars Reyna Reba and Noel Watson and to welcome back the Wallaces and Jack Lipthratt.
- 10 City Rec had a huge turnout! The McMinns, Belts, Sandy Dean, Ron Sadowski, and Josh Messer.
- 2 Burroughs Molette - LA Chancey and John Smith. Often we have no one from this precinct. This is the first year I remember where EVERY precinct was represented by someone at the county convention.
The following attended from St. Williams (mid-south St. Simons): Janis Boland, Karen Ross, Marjorie Peters, Lisa Rozier, Joann Cook, Charles Taylor, Paul Loupee, Ken Trobaugh, and Ann Rewis. What an active precinct. Janis served as convention secretary. Joann was on the nominating committee. Ann was on the registration committee. Karen filled in for Dale Provenzano as precinct chair for the meeting; Dale was called away to ATL for family health issues. We wish his family well. If you think this report is skewed towards detail on St. Williams, that's correct. I was precinct chair 2001-2009 and stand ready to assist the newer officers for whom I'm so grateful!
We elected 27 delegates and alternates to the April 14 district convention and 20 to the May state convention. See their names at the bottom of this post.
As nicely done as our County Convention was, I hope for some improvements at the District convention:
- water please! and coffee!
- scheduled bio breaks so it's not necessary to disrupt the business flow with an emergency recess
- advance announcement of the FULL nominating committee and their schedule. In Glynn County, County Chair appointed Jeff Chapman nominating chair and then left it to Jeff to appoint, drop, and add members to his committee and their membership was never communicated in general news.It is my hope that District Chair Ruby Robinson will announce her district nominating committee and their schedule THIS WEEK so that those who wish to attend the national convention can submit their nominations and supporting materials.
These are the delegates and alternates I noted from the nominating list and changes from the floor. This is the list I sent to our County GOP officers. It is not the final official list sent to state - which I have not seen.
|D8||2293||St Williams||KELLY||WILLIAM (Harry)|
|D12||4193||Beverly Shores||Massari||Pasquale (Pat)|
|D10||2193||First Baptist SSI||SANDERS||ANTHONY (Mike)|
|D27||1173||Sterling Church of G||WRIGHT||SAMUEL|
|A15||2193||First Baptist SSI||KACOS||MARK|
|A4||2193||First Baptist SSI||LEWIS||CHARLES|
|A8||4193||Beverly Shores||MCVEIGH||NORMAN (Shaw)|
|A13||1373||Marshes of Glynn||ROSS||LINDA|
|A14||1373||Marshes of Glynn||ROSS||VICTOR|
|A18||2293||St Williams||TAYLOR III||CHARLES|
|A22||1373||Marshes of Glynn||WENDEL||SUSAN|
|A23||1173||Sterling Church of G||WRIGHT||LYNNE|
|Del #||2393||Oglethorpe Point||COX||Wesley|
|D3||2193||First Baptist SSI||LEWIS||CHARLES|
|A20||2193||First Baptist SSI||KACOS||MARK|
|A15||4193||Beverly Shores||Massari||Pasquale (Pat)|
|A4||4193||Beverly Shores||MCVEIGH||NORMAN (Shaw)|
|A14||2193||First Baptist SSI||Netherton||George|
|A9||1173||Sterling Church of G||SZYPER||ALEXANDER|