Locally he has the endorsement of former US Senator and Georgia Ports Authority chairman Mack Mattingly. Most recently he was endorsed by Cap Fendig who came in 3rd in the 4 man July 20 primary.
He wins the support of these organizations and individuals because they know they can trust Shaw and he has the desire and ability to serve Glynn County again.
In addition to being awed by his experience and generosity and comfortable discussing any issue with him, I support him for very specific reasons:
- He has legislative and county government experience. Glynn County is losing two important legislators - State Senator Jeff Chapman and House Majority Leader Jerry Keen. Having served previously in the state legislature, Shaw will have a head start. When we lose our House Majority Leader, we don't want to go to the back of the pack.
- He has been in the private sector his entire adult career with CPA experience in hospitality & tourism, agriculture, and pulp&paper processing industries.This experience makes him uniquely qualified to represent this area.
- Shaw is not an attorney - and this year that matters more than usual. Because of turnover in our delegation, it is important to think about the potential influence and balance of the new delegation we send to Atlanta. The two legislators we're losing come from the private industry. One of their replacements, William Ligon, the new GOP nominee for SD3 is an attorney. The incumbent Republican Roger Lane for HD 167 (which includes part of Glynn) is also an attorney. Do we want THREE attorneys representing Glynn County in Atlanta? I think one of the strengths of the Republican Party is that our elected ranks represent many industries and professions and are not overwhelmingly comprised of attorneys. If the legislature is going to remove barriers to starting and growing businesses and provide a healthy level playing field for business, it should have a significant business component.
- Shaw has served on the local Board of Education and is married to a career secondary school science teacher - with experience in public and private schools. Education is over half the state budget and over half the local budget. We need someone with a sharp CPA pencil and a knowledge of local education challenges.
- Shaw's county government experience AND lifelong involvement in Brunswick and Glynn County assure that he will understand intergovernmental issues and work for the city and the county.
- Shaw is the real proven Republican - not just at the national level but at the state and county level.
- Shaw is focused on opportunities for our citizens and businesses - at the college, in tourism and hospitality, and with the ports.
- Shaw is still the YOUNG guy in the race! He has youthful energy and drive combined with wisdom of character and experience.